Teaching Math during Circle Time

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Teaching math during Circle Time is my favorite time to teach math. The children are learning so much during this time and they don’t realize it because it is so much fun!  These skills are so important too! They are learning one to one correspondence, number recognition, counting, patterning and more.





We talk about what the date was yesterday and I ask them what the date is today. The calendar helper puts the correct date on the calendar. We then clap and count to the correct number according to the date. We always sing 🎶 the calendar song.

During each Circle Time as I point to the Leaves on the tree the children count. We also sing the number song.


During Circle Time We also review the numbers for the month. We count, we sing songs, we write them in the air and more.

During Circle Time we sing about the Seasons. The children know there are four Seasons. When school started they confused Seasons with Weekdays , Months and Weather. Now they know that the Seasons are Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring. They are excited that Winter ❄️ is coming December 21st. We count the Seasons and talk about which season is now and what season is next.  We can also extend it further with more early math, literacy  and science Circle Time activities.


😀The children know there are 12 months in a year. During Circle Time  We sing them , say them and count them. As I pull them out the children say the month. After Christmas I will start challenging them and mix the months up so they have to sound them out to tell me which month I am holding.


It is the same with the days of the week. They know that there are seven days . We sing them, say them and count them. After Christmas I will also make this more challenging.


During weather time there are options we can use to include math. We can use our weather graph to document the number of days for certain kinds of weather. Or we can document it in our journals.

 There are many ways to use math in Circle Time. As teachers we can very creative. 😍 The more we do , the more exciting it is for the children.❤️


Thank you Mother Goose Time for providing so many great resources for the classroom. Teaching math is fun ❤️

Disclaimer: I am so thankful for the opportunity to use Experience Early Learning formerly Mother Goose Time Curriculum with my students. I can’t wait to share our learning experiences on my blog. In exchange for my unbiased and honest reviews, Experience Early Learning has provided us with the curriculum free of charge.

No comments